Pages

Sunday, April 12, 2009

The Art of TV: LOST


Few TV shows have captured and held the fervor of millions quite like LOST has. Its dynamic characters, signature flashbacks and the "will they? won't they?" tension Jack-Kate and Kate-Sawyer have kept people coming back for more. 

Originally, I was opposed to LOST. Any show that incites that much passion from its fans makes me a little wary.  People who watch LOST don't just watch it; they love and follow it. Life stops on Wednesday nights. Facebook statuses begin the countdown around 3 o'clock in the afternoon. That Christmas-like anticipation made me uneasy. I didn't want to drink the Kool-Aide. 

However, I became a member of the LOST cult. If loving this show is wrong, I don't want to be right. 

LOST is the most complex TV show in history. In an age of impersonal social networking sites and texts instead of calls, getting viewers to follow a dozen different characters' lives week after week is quite a feat. Also, bringing Sci-fi to the masses and getting them to like it is an art form itself. J.J. Abrams, I salute you. You are an artist and your medium is addiction. Keep it coming!

No comments:

Post a Comment