Pages

Saturday, March 13, 2010

She's Out of My League: Not That Bad



I thought I'd continue the bad movie roll I've been on and go see She's Out of My League, expecting nothing short of horrible. However, I have to say, it wasn't that bad. Now, Casablanca it ain't, but it was not the worst movie I've ever seen.

The movie, which you can basically get the gist of from the trailer, is about an unmotivated schmo named Kirk (played by Jay Baruchel), who is told by his friends that he's a 5 on the hotness scale. Personally, I think it's what's on the inside that counts, and humor and kindness are more attractive than washboard abs or buff biceps. Then again, I probably wasn't this movie's target audience. However, I think we can all agree that Kirk is not a bad looking guy. I thought he was kind of charming when he wasn't moping and feeling sorry for himself. He comes in contact with Molly (Alice Eve), who everyone describes as "a hard 10," and, for reasons no one is sure about, they begin to date.

Now, genital jokes and gross-out moments asides, parts of this movie were actually genuinely sweet. Molly and Kirk's frank discussion of self-esteem and self-perception was pretty honest for what on the surface seems like a dumb date night movie. Also, a Great Expectations reference was made, and I was sold from there. And, most importantly, I felt like the two really did like each other (something that I didn't get from the opus that is Dear John).

I had a good time watching this movie. Any time that I felt annoyed I think was a combination of tonal shift (sweet to snarky...I guess the screenwriters were trying to appeal to both the men and the women in the theater) and the crying baby at the particular show I saw. This is definitely a good matinee movie; I didn't think I would, but I can honestly say I had fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment