Pages

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

The Art of...Loving Something In Spite of Criticism




As someone who majored in magazine journalism with an emphasis on writing, especially art and criticism, I find myself bewildered when I hear people bemoan a critic's review. They say that they're bitter, judgemental and just plain old mean. And, while this may be the case for some pieces I've read, I'd like to defend critics, especially film critics. They're not all bad. Critics provide a service for a reader. They try to put into words their thoughts and feelings about what they've seen or heard so that you, dear reader, won't have to shell out $10+ on something that won't satisfy. Critics are meant to be peer advisors, albeit peers who have a depth and cultural knowledge that is unfathomable, and they're there to help.

Now, that's not to say that I always agree with a reviewer. More often than not, I don't. Sure, I can appreciate the time that he or she took in composing the article, but I can disagree with their thesis too. When I sit in a movie theater, I'm not looking for a film to be Citizen Kane; most of the movies out today don't have a deeper meaning or a foundation to be a cinematic touchstone 50 years from now. They're entertainment, not art. And, if I enjoy a story, then I'll give it a favorable review. It's not fair to hold a romantic comedy to the level of an Oscar-contender.

For example, I recently saw happythankyoumoreplease, directed by, written by and starring How I Met Your Mother's Josh Radnor. Is it a vanity project? Sure. Does it reinvent the wheel? No, at times it's cliched, and the plot is predictable. Yet, I really loved this film. It's sweet and simple, the perfect movie for date night or after a long day of work. As a twenty-something trying to figure it all out, plots about other twenty-somethings trying to figure it all out might resonate more strongly with me, but I think that there are parts of this story that everyone can adore. My favorite plot line centers on Sam's (our protagonist played by, you guessed it, Radnor) best friend Annie (Malin Akerman) and her love life. Annie has alopecia, and the colorful scarves she wraps around her head reflect her vibrant personality. However, Annie always seems to pick the wrong guys, going for handsome ne'er-do-wells that eventually break her heart. Annie is pursued by a lawyer also named Sam (Tony Hale) who is not what Annie is looking for. However, (spoiler alert!), Sam #2 is so sweet and genuine that the whole audience and certain characters are totally smitten by the film's end. It's not a new tale, but it's one that you can enjoy again and again. I genuinely liked this movie, but I could only find one favorable review of it. And yet, I remain undeterred.

To me, critics are like the friend you go shopping with. You can listen to her opinion and appreciate it, but if you want that hot pink bag, then, try as your buddy might to dissuade you, you're going to get it. Critics are just attempting to help, but they might not share your tastes. For example, if a particular reviewer doesn't watch copious amount of Bravo television and re-read their favorite Jane Austen three times a year, they might not appreciate a movie that appeals to my dyed-in-the-wool sense of whimsy and need for happy endings. So, let's agree to amicably disagree, shall we?




image via

No comments:

Post a Comment