Pages

Tuesday, November 22, 2011

A Love Letter to Stationery

As a Southern woman with a good Southern mama, I always write thank you notes. I take great joy in doing it now, sending a physical sign of gratitude to someone who gave me something, but my first experiences with the thank you note were not so sunny. In elementary school, I was the only kid I knew who had to write thank you notes for everything, not just birthdays and Christmas. While I at first saw thank you notes as mandates rather than necessities, I learned that putting pen to paper and saying a simple "thanks!" can mean more than the most beautifully crafted Facebook message. Seriously, even an extended metaphor online can't beat out a kate spade note card.

This love of sending letters soon gave way to another obsession: stationery. I love stationery. My girl crush and I'm sure would-be bestie Mindy Kaling wrote on her blog that her favorite internet time-waster is creating personalized stationery. Me too Mindy! Maybe it's part of why I love being a writer, but is there any thing better than seeing one's name in print? Didn't think so. Thankfully, I have wonderful friends who don't live as close to me as I would like. So, we send each other letters. If 3rd grade me could see me now...I've got pen pals and everything! To be honest, it is quicker to send those I miss a text or email, but checking the mailbox and seeing a fuchsia envelope gives me just as big a thrill as a beep from my phone.

Here are some cards from Etsy to inspire a little snail mail exchange for those still doubting the magic of the post office:

Letterpress makes everything better. Thanks Anemone Letterpress!



Did I mention that I love glitter? Super cute cards from Olivia Lovenmark.


Let the good times roll with letterpress from Spring Olive.


You know this grammar nerd geeked out over this Dude and Chick card.

Wordplay make the world a better place; way to go letterform!

 So, even though this is the week to give thanks, dropping a line works just as well the other 364 days a year. And if that line happens to be on glittery, letterpressed stationery, then my hat is off to you.


Get your cards here: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5


No comments:

Post a Comment