Pages

Friday, August 26, 2011

The Art of Dancing It Out

dancing it out- verb: a series of movement, aesthetically pleasing or otherwise, that release any sort of emotion, including joy, anxiety, fear and so on. Can be accomplished to all forms of music. 


For as long as I can remember, I've danced it out. Thanks to my life-long love of musicals, life has always seemed better if it features a song and dance. Am I a talented dancer? I don't know. When I was 14, a boy told me I was a good dancer, and I've allowed that compliment to imbue my hoofing with confidence ever since.  In high school, my friends and I would break it down in parking lots in random areas of town. Yes, the Footloose nature of that is not lost on me. My random need to bust a move occurred all throughout college, usually when a test was the next day or a paper was due. I think this clip from Grey's Anatomy, where I first heard the term coined, is a perfect example of d.i.o. Ignore the babbling from Meredith (just one of the many reasons why I no longer watch this show), and  just take the sage advice of Christina Yang into your heart: "Shut up. Dance it out...Dancing makes you brave."


 Here are some tunes, some old and some older, that I've been dancing it out to of late: 

The Clash- "Police On My Back"




 Modest Mouse- "Dashboard"


Andre "Ice Cold" 3000- "Hey Ya" 






Hope everyone has a great weekend dancing it out!





No comments:

Post a Comment