Pages

Friday, August 19, 2011

Musings on Muses: Jenna Lyons

Greetings and Salutations Friends, 

To start off this experiment of a series, I thought I'd discuss my current girl crush, the woman whose closet I'd like to raid, kitchen table I'd like to drink coffee at and awesomeness I'd want to soak up like a parched sponge.  I am of course talking about the coolest woman on the planet, J. Crew's creative director Jenna Lyons.






I mean, look at her at work in her office. Isn't she just so effortlessly chic? And better at it than you or I could ever hope to be, so I think we should just stop trying. There's an amazing and highly complimentary article about her in New York Magazine, calling her an unlikely and humble tastemaker. I love this quote from the piece:

"This is not a role that Lyons will readily admit to, and when I bring up a word that is often applied to her, she expresses a shuddering distaste. 'My goal is not to be a tastemaker,' she says. 'It has never been that. I don’t consider myself that at all. The idea that you can make taste or influence someone’s taste is a very precarious and overly presumptuous concept.' But isn’t that, in large part, what she is paid to do? Lyons frowns. 'Hubris is not so cute.'”


"Hubris is not so cute." What a wonderful notion! Although to be honest, if anyone should toot her own horn, it should be Ms. Lyons. The ease and glamour that she brings to everyday fashion is an art form unto itself. It's like she's channeling four-year-old me who only wanted to wear comfortable clothes with sparkles. And a marabou boa. Daily. Dressing that way makes a celebration out of going to the grocery store or to work. It brings charm to an outfit and a spring to one's step. Making little things special is what Lyons has brought to fashion, and customers have followed her like the Pied Piper of perfection that she is. 
I've long admired Lyons' style, but it wasn't until the brouhaha that arose after this picture was posted on J. Crew's website that I truly loved her:

What was meant as a sweet image of a mother and son on a Saturday turned into a needless controversy because, if you examine the photo closely, you see that Jenna's son has hot pink toenails. Personally, I love it.  Let's turn those silly gender stereotypes on their heads people! Little girls play with trucks and Legos, so why can't a boy ask his mom to paint his toes? Yet, those naysayers had to say nay, so a strange and pointless debate began. I think Lyons had the best reaction to the sturm und drang in the NY Magazine piece. 

"I was painting my nails and Beckett wanted his nails painted, too. I’m not surprised that he was interested in what I was doing. My God, my toes went from white to hot pink—it was very exciting.”

I've said it once, and I'll say it again - she's cooler than all of us people! And, since a picture speaks a thousand words, I thought I'd leave you with a few so that you can start cultivating your own crush too.








Feel free to check out the story here (where all these quotes and photos came from!): http://nymag.com/fashion/11/fall/jenna-lyons/

No comments:

Post a Comment